Sunday, February 1, 2009

Swingers

Watch kids when they're sitting on a stool or chair. They love dangling their feet, swinging them every which way, with careless abandon. Whenever I see that it makes me smile. Why? Because I am reminded of a simpler time, dare I say a better time... before I discovered foot rests.

I was meeting a friend for dinner last week at the Mexican Subway, aka Chipotle, and he was running late so I decided to go in and wait for him. I picked a table next to the window for better visibility and sat on the stool. Instinctively I ran my feet along the pole in search of a place to rest my them.

Nothing! Panic set in. Why was there no where to put my feet?! Had Chipotle, on the journey to greatness overlooked this one tiny yet instrumental detail in the design of their establishment? I looked down in disbelieve, and then I saw it. The foot rest was on the table.

Phew! That was a close call.

Have you ever had to sit for a long time without a place to rest your feet? Its torture. There's something unsettling about dangling feet for an adult. I don't know why, but there just is. Somewhere along the path to adulthood we lost our ability to simultaneously eat and swing our feet. I am writing this to remind you that this was not always the case.

So the next time you find yourself in a situation where there is no place to rest your feet, remember the younger more free-spirited you... The you before runner's knee and a torn meniscus, and then find someplace else to sit.


*******************************

5 comments:

Monkey said...

i am with you on the foot rest thing. i like to swing but i need a place to launch from.

on a related note, pockets for shoving hands in are also a necessity.

Amy said...

Welcome to the world of the vertically challenged. Sometimes foot rests are too far down to be useful. Sometimes desks are so high that when I adjust the chair my feet are flying. In my last job, the ergonomic consultant made me buy a footrest at for my desk because swinging feet are bad for you!

W. Nathaniel Jones said...

No. Chipotle is not the "Mexican Subway." Chipotle is on a higher plane of existence.

Bunny said...

are you implying there's something wrong with subway? I LOVE SUBWAY!!

Anonymous said...

The worst thing about realizing there are no foot rests is the futile search for the pole beforehand. I think most of us just take for granted that there will be a pole there, so without looking, we keep moving our feet up and down expecting to eventually land on the pole.