Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Artistic Integrity

So I was sitting in my coworker's office. After we finish our work talk he says, "Look at my latest masterpiece"

I look up at his wall at the newest painting on his wall. "Aww, which one of your kids drew that?"

"[Insert childs name here]"

"So cute! Little turtles swimming." I said.

"Those aren't turtles. Those are people." He laughed at my ignorance. "Turtles don't wear clothes."

I looked at him... Turtles don't wear clothes? Really?? "Well people aren't GREEN!" I wanted to yell back... but I didn't. Cause that would be mean.

I looked back quizzically at the painting of green "people" turned every which way on a light blue background, but decided to let it go.

I can only hope that when I have kids they'll be able to tell the difference between reptiles and mammals. And if not, I hope I am not so blinded by my love for them that I advertise their ignorance on my office walls. Those paintings will not make it out of the house and will instead be displayed prominently on the refrigerator door.

2 comments:

Amy said...

What's worse, the person showing off their own child's interpretation of real life, or a single person hanging up their friend's kid's crazy art in her cube...

Spanky said...

I leave it to you to give Ryan constructive criticism about his art. Mean Auntie Kara. (I laughed so hard reading that)